The role of Communications and Public Affairs in a disaster management non-profit organization is crucial for effectively conveying the organization’s mission, goals, and impact to various stakeholders. The job requirements typically include a combination of administrative, organizational, and communication skills, as well as a strong understanding of disaster management principles.
- Minimum Qualification: Degree
- Experience Level: Senior level
- Experience Length: 7 years
- A bachelor’s degree in communications, Public Relations, Journalism, or a related field is required.
- A master’s degree can be an added advantage.
- Minimum of 7 years of proven experience in communications, public relations, or a related field, preferably within the non-profit sector and with a focus on disaster management or emergency response.
- Knowledge of Disaster Management: Understanding of disaster preparedness, response, recovery, and mitigation strategies.
- Familiarity with relevant regulations, policies, and best practices in disaster management.
- Proficient in using office software (e.g., Microsoft Office Suite, Google Workspace).
- Excellent organizational and time management skills.
- Ability to coordinate and schedule meetings, conferences, and events.
- Document preparation, including reports, presentations, and correspondence.
- Ability to develop and implement a comprehensive communication and public affairs strategy that aligns with the organization’s goals and mission.
- Strong understanding of crisis communication strategies and the ability to respond effectively during emergencies or disasters.
- Proficiency in building and maintaining relationships with members of the media, including journalists, editors, and influencers.
- Experience in creating and distributing press releases, and media kits, and organizing press conferences or media events.
- Strong writing, editing, and storytelling skills to create compelling content for various channels (press releases, articles, blog posts, social media, etc.).
- Experience in managing the organization’s website, social media platforms, and other digital communication channels.
- Ability to engage with key stakeholders, including government agencies, NGOs, community organizations, and the public, to advocate for disaster preparedness, response, and recovery efforts.
- A genuine passion for disaster management and a deep commitment to IAEM Africa/Nigeria’s mission of building resilient communities and responding effectively in times of crisis.